Welcome to the New York G&B Help Center. Here, you will find two types of help:
- Help using our website, newyorkfamilyhistory.org
- Help related to your family history or genealogy research
Make sure to check back often - we will be continually adding information that will help you discover more New York stories in your family tree.
Our website, newyorkfamilyhistory.org is a useful tool for anyone researching their New York family, whether or not you're a member of the society. If you're not a member of the society, take a look at our free resources to see how we can help you.
NYG&B members will find the following videos, articles and web pages helpful in learning how to take advantage of the many and varied digital resources on newyorkfamilyhistory.org:
- Introduction to the NYG&B Website (new members start here!)
- How to activate your access to online records
- NYG&B eLibrary tutorial
- eLibrary FAQ
- Findmypast Records Open to NYG&B Members
The NYG&B can help you with your genealogical research in two ways - by helping you hone your skills through our many educational resources, or by providing professional research services to help you form a research plan or break through your brick wall.
The NYG&B offers a variety of research services to assist you along the way, including:
- Personalized consultations
- Searches within the non-digitized NYG&B collections
- Records retrieval services
- In-depth research projects
Learn more on our research services page.
At the NYG&B, education is one of our primary focuses. We produce a broad range of educational programming, including lectures from noted genealogical experts, hands-on research tours, and New York's only statewide genealogical conference, the New York State Family History Conference. We have produced an educational guide to genealogy research for the entire State of New York, and a specific guide dedicated to navigating the New York City Municipal Archives.
NYG&B members have access to the a library of webinars and the New York Knowledge Base - over 200 expert-authored educational articles on various topics related to New York State research and genealogy in general.
Both members and non-members may benefit from reviewing some of the following free-resources that can help you improve your research skills:
The NYG&B Blog
Our blog is updated regularly with posts about genealogy tips, genealogy new (including new online records) and other interesting content related to New York Families. Click here to visit the blog.
NYG&B on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook for even more useful tips and tricks - not only is it the best way to keep up with our new blog posts, we also share the best tips and tricks from around the web. Click here to visit our Facebook page.
The NYG&B email newsletter
We send out an email newsletter every 2 weeks, filled with great NY State research tips and genealogy news. Our eNews always contains links to our most recently published blog articles. Sign up here:
We have produced a series of valuable genealogy guides that are open to the general public. These are excellent resources for those researching in New York State:
- New York State Vital Records Guide
- Featured New York Repositories for Genealogy
- A Selection of Major Cemeteries in New York State
- New York Newspapers Available Online
- Articles about New York Research Published in Journals Outside New York
- Guide to Repositories in the New York Metro Area
- Using Maps for New York State Research
- Genealogical & Historical Societies in New York City and State
- Selected Hereditary & Lineage Societies
- Hiring Professional Genealogical Researchers