The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society is the authoritative resource for those researching New York State families. While members of the NYG&B receive access to our full array of resources, we're committed to providing helpful information on New York State research to the genealogical community free of charge.
If you're not yet ready to become a member of the NYG&B, we can still help you in your quest to uncover your New York roots!
See below for a list of our resources that are free and open to the public. For an overview of our digital resources and how to use our website, watch our recent webinar on using newyorkfamilyhistory.org.
Make sure to also check out our events calendar - many of our events are free and open to the public, including live webinars and YouTube Live Q&A's with the NYG&B's genealogy experts.
The NYG&B email newsletter
We send out an email newsletter every 2 weeks, filled with great NY State research tips and genealogy news. Our eNews always contains links to our most recently published blog articles, as well as upcoming events and more. Sign up here:
We have produced a series of valuable genealogy guides that are open to the general public. These are excellent resources for those researching in New York State:
- New York State Vital Records Guide
- Getting Started on Your Family History
- New York Newspapers Available Online
- A Selection of Major Cemeteries in New York State
- Featured New York Repositories for Genealogy
- Guide to Repositories in the New York Metro Area
- Using Maps for New York State Research
- Articles about New York Research Published in Journals Outside New York
- Genealogical & Historical Societies in New York City and State
- Selected Hereditary & Lineage Societies
We host dozens of genealogy webinars each year - for most, the live broadcast is free and open to the public. See our events calendar for a list of upcoming webinars, and make reserve your spot today for ones you're interested in - seats fill up fast!
NYG&B members have access to recorded versions of all webinars and live events, which can be viewed on-demand.
A few of our recorded webinars are free and open to the public:
- The New York State Family History Conference: Everything You Need to Know
- Using the Free Resources of the Daughters of the American Revolution for Genealogy Research
The NYG&B Blog
Our blog is updated regularly with posts about genealogy tips, genealogy news (including new online records) and other interesting content related to New York Families. Click here to visit the blog.
NYG&B on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook for even more useful tips and tricks - not only is it the best way to keep up with our new blog posts and other resources, we also share the best tips and tricks from around the web. Click here to visit our Facebook page.
NYG&B on YouTube
The NYG&B YouTube Channel has many videos for New York State genealogy research. You can watch any of our past YouTube Live Genealogy Q&A's in full, or view the individual questions that were asked. We also have several tutorials about using our website, as well as some interesting behind the scenes footage. Subscribe to get notifications about all of our videos as they're published.
NYG&B members have access to even more resources - including:
- Nearly 50 collections and well over 1 million names in the eLibrary
- A webinar library with containing recorded webinar on everything from New York research to genetic genealogy to researching those who worked on the Erie Canal.
- The New York Knowledge Base, which contains over 200 expert-authored articles on a wide variety of topics related to New York State research.
- Discounted tickets to lectures, conferences and research trips.
Learn more about becoming a member by clicking here. Annual membership costs less than $6 per month.