About the Physical Collection
The records held in the NYG&B offices are delicate, and consist of 15 register books.
The books record:
- Baptisms between 1852 and 1948
- Confirmations between 1853 and 1920
- Marriages between 1852 and 1948
- Deaths between 1889 and 1923
- Consistory and congregational minutes
- Financial accounts
It appears that during many years, multiple church books were in use simultaneously to record sacramental events. The registers are in German and English.
This volume is text searchable – searches entered will query this volume. Click here to view these records.
About the Church
St. Paul’s Evangelical Reformed Church was organized around the year 1852 as the German Evangelical Reformed Church. The church was located on Suffolk Street near Delancey Street in Manhattan’s Lower East Side.
St. Paul’s Evangelical Reformed Church in the City of New York was incorporated January 14, 1889.
The church moved uptown from Suffolk Street to the neighborhood of East Harlem in January 1900, and in 1919 moved to East 141st Street and Crimmins Avenue in the Eastchester section of the Bronx.
Some of the pastors associated with the St. Paul’s were Revs:
- John Frederick Busche
- Eugen G. Fuessle
- Georg Kern
- Paul Somerlatte
- Georg Ulrich
- E. Bruckner or Brueckner
- C.F.A. Klein
- Jacob Schmitt
- Walter F. Reif
The church closed in June 1948.
Suggested citation for this collection:
New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, "Finding Aid to the Records of St. Paul's Evangelical Reformed Church” digital images, New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, (www.newyorkfamilyhistory.org), 2019.