As a non-profit organization, we are dedicated to preserving, documenting, and sharing the stories of New York State families throughout history.
Your annual membership dues support the many activities our society undertakes to fulfill our mission. Click here to read more about our mission, history, and what we’re doing to foster connections between New York’s past and present. We couldn't do it without the generous support of our members and donors!
Membership in the NYG&B also comes with many benefits, including exclusive access to New York records, publications, and essential tools for anyone researching in New York. Read below for a complete list of member benefits - if you're a current member, make sure you have watched our series of short membership videos that introduce and demonstrate our many member-only resources to ensure you're making the most out of your membership.
New York Records Online
The NYG&B has a large volume of online genealogy records, many of which can only be found on our website. Visit our Online Records Platform to search, browse, and learn more about all of our preserved historical records.
Some of our most popular records include:
- New York State Religious Records (1639 - 1914)
- Every volume of The Record, our society's quarterly publication which has been in print since 1870
- The New York State Death Index
- The New York Times Obituaries Index
- New York State Cemetery Abstracts
- More than 25 New York titles in the WPA Historical Records Survey series
- Many other digitized NYG&B collections, including immigration and naturalization, probate, and more.
NYG&B members also get a free subscription to Findmypast, another leader in online genealogy records. Learn more about Findmypast records open to NYG&B members.
Records available on Findmypast include the Catholic Heritage Archive, a massive collection of United States Marriage records, the PERiodical Source Index (PERSI), the U.S. census 1790-1940, newspapers, immigration records, and millions of other sources to search. Learn more about Findmypast records open to NYG&B members.
Access to dozens of recorded webinars
NYG&B members get priority registration for all live webinars and can access the all recordings on-demand in our webinar library, which grows monthly.
We also record all live presentations that happen on the NYG&B - so if you're unable to join us in person, you can still catch up on all of the great expert lectures we host at our offices in New York City.
We routinely bring in the top subject-experts in the field, who present on a wide variety of topics, including:
- DNA and family history
- New York records online
- How to research in New York State's top repositories and archives
- Researching specific ethnic or national groups, including Irish, African-American, and Jewish research
- Genealogy research skills and methods
Feel free to browse the full list of recorded webinars to get an idea of the many topics we touch upon. If you're interested, visit our events page to sign up for the live presentation of an upcoming webinar - most of our webinars are free and open to the public when live, but only NYG&B members can access recordings on-demand at any time.
Hundreds of expert-authored research aid articles
The New York Knowledge Base contains hundreds of in-depth articles authored by the foremost experts on New York State research. We have an online guide to researching in each of New York's 62 counties - these guides contain links to all crucial repositories, many online record sets, and selected bibliographies that will be invaluable to the researcher focusing on any county in New York State.
Other articles go into great depth on many different topics, including
- How to use different types of records found in New York State
- Researching in different time periods of New York history
- Selected bibliographies for religious denominations and ethnic groups
- Expert guides related to specific record sets and repositories
- Advanced methodology
Whether you're a beginner, a New York State expert, or anywhere in between, you can significantly improve your skills with the New York Knowledge Base.
We have opened a select few Knowledge Base articles to the general public. These subject guides focus on some fundamental aspects of New York State research and are free and open to everyone. Visit our free resources section to dive in.
NYG&B members receive the following discounts:
- 63% discount on the purchase of a Findmypast Premium subscription
- Exclusive discounts on selected NYG&B publications
- Early registration discounts to NYG&B events
- 10% off tuition for Boston University’s Genealogy Studies Program
- 25% discount on the purchase of JPASS from JSTOR
- Discounts on DNA testing through FamilyTreeDNA
Patron members enjoy exclusive benefits and provide philanthropic support that enables the NYG&B to better serve New York researchers everywhere. Learn more about Patron membership in the NYG&B.
The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society is a tax-exempt organization under Section 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.