This research guide is a fantastic tool that researchers can use to uncover more detailed information on their German ancestors. The primary purpose of this book is to help researchers locate and better understand German church records of the metropolitan New York area, including the five boroughs and parts of Hudson County, New Jersey.
This volume is text searchable – searches entered will query this volume. The images can also be browsed by clicking the links below, which will take you to the beginning of the section you are interested in reading.
Part I provides an overview of the denominations, the churches, and the nature of the records in general.
Part II is the compendium of the churches, which provides:
- Details of their location and dates (including indexes and maps)
- Current location of records (as far as is known)
Here is the full table of contents:
- Part I: Aspects of German-American Religions and Communities
- Christian Denominations in Germany
- German-American Communities and Churches in Metropolitan New York
- The Nature of German Church Records
- Part II: Compendium of German Churches in Metropolitan New York
- Description of the Compendium
- Compendium of German Churches
- Church Location Maps
- Index to Churches
- Index to Protestant Pastors
This work was authored in 2000 by Richard Haberstroh, C.G., and published by The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society.
Suggested citation for this collection:
New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, "German Churches of Metropolitan New York” digital images, New York Genealogical and Biographical Society, (www.newyorkfamilyhistory.org), 2019.