"A list of scholars who attended the District School of District No. 1 in the town of Riga" is a recurring title found in this volume of school records, which spans from 1843 to 1862. As such, these records provide lists of pupils in attendance in a given term. Researchers will also find daily and weekly attendance logs.
School records can be a fantastic tool for filling in gaps when pieces of vital information, such as birth dates, cannot be located or confirmed. In addition, they offer a glimpse into the daily lives of our ancestors.
Background on the Collection
Details Included in the Documents
Pupils who attended school during each 16 week term
The number of days students attended class during a term
The names of the teachers and superintendent of the district during the given terms
The ages of some pupils (ranging from 5-16)
Tallied breakdown of days of week attended by certain students
Riga Town History
The town of Riga was first known as West Pulteney until it was formally renamed on April 8, 1808. The town was originally a part of Ontario County and later Genesee County; the area finally became part of Monroe County in 1821. Between 1840 and 1850, the town saw a 8.8% population increase, increasing by 175 residents. By 1850, Riga had a population of 2,159 people. Beginning in 1861, male Riga residents began enlisting to fight in the Civil War and in total, 107 men enlisted between the years 1861 and 1865.
Businessman and Captain Samuel Church owned the entirety of the land in Churchville, a Northern portion of Riga until 1852 when it was formally incorporated into the rest of the town in Monroe County.
Though not reflective of the school records shown, the town of Riga contained another historic school called the Riga Academy, which operated between the years of 1847-1861, and is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places.