"This volume doubles as an overdue handbook for serious researchers...an enlightening and eclectic chronological tour of four centuries of New York benchmarks and record-keeping." The New York Times
The New York Family History Research Guide and Gazetteer is the first book of its kind. More than 100 experts have reviewed and contributed content about local and regional resources and key topics in New York family history. The result is a book of 856 pages with:
- Chapters on major record groups and research resources, including the most up-to-date and comprehensive review of New York State’s extremely complicated vital records system
- Information on research resources for sixteen major ethnic and twelve major religious groups that have lived in New York
- Gazetteers, maps, and research guides to each of New York’s 62 counties, including the five boroughs of New York City
- More than 100 separate, categorized, special topic bibliographies vetted by genealogists
- Timelines of key events in New York history 1609–1945 that impact genealogical research
- An index of over 11,000 place names and place-name variants past and present, the first published gazetteer of its kind since 1872.
Preview the Table of Contents.
New York Family History Research Guide and Gazetteer
- NYG&B Member price: $65 plus shipping
- Library and Society price: $75 plus shipping
- Non-Member retail price: $85 plus shipping
2015. Softcover, 8.5 x 11, 856 pages, including place-name index.
*Shipping for U.S. locations is calculated at the time of purchase; for international orders, call 212-755-8532. State and local sales tax applies to non-exempt purchases by New York State residents and purchases shipped to a New York address. A list of sales tax rates by municipality may be found here. Please allow up to two weeks for delivery.
Order securely online via our online store or by calling (212) 755-8532.