The New York Genealogical and Biographical Society is the authoritative resource for those researching New York State families. While members of the NYG&B receive access to our full array of resources, we're committed to providing helpful information on New York State research to the genealogical community free of charge.
If you're not yet ready to become a member of the NYG&B, we can still help you in your quest to uncover your New York roots!
See below for a list of our resources that are free and open to the public. Make sure to also check out our events calendar - many of our events are free and open to the public, including live webinars and YouTube Live Q&A's with the NYG&B's genealogy experts.
The NYG&B email newsletter
We send out an email newsletter every 2 weeks, filled with great NY State research tips and genealogy news. Our eNews always contains links to our most recently published blog articles, as well as upcoming events and more. Sign up here:
The NYG&B Blog
Our blog is updated regularly with posts about genealogy tips, genealogy news (including new online records) and other interesting content related to New York Families. Click here to visit the blog.
NYG&B on Facebook
Follow us on Facebook for even more useful tips and tricks - not only is it the best way to keep up with our new blog posts and other resources, we also share the best tips and tricks from around the web. Click here to visit our Facebook page.
We have produced a series of valuable genealogy guides that are open to the general public. These are excellent resources for those researching in New York State:
- New York State Vital Records Guide
- New York Newspapers Available Online
- A Selection of Major Cemeteries in New York State
- Featured New York Repositories for Genealogy
- Guide to Repositories in the New York Metro Area
- Using Maps for New York State Research
- Articles about New York Research Published in Journals Outside New York
- Genealogical & Historical Societies in New York City and State
- Selected Hereditary & Lineage Societies
- Hiring Professional Genealogical Researchers
NYG&B members have access to even more resources - including:
- Nearly 50 collections and well over 1 million names in the eLibrary
- A webinar library with containing recorded webinar on everything from New York research to genetic genealogy to researching those who worked on the Erie Canal.
- The New York Knowledge Base, which contains over 200 expert-authored articles on a wide variety of topics related to New York State research.
- Discounted tickets to lectures, conferences and research trips.
Learn more about becoming a member by clicking here. Annual membership costs less than $6 per month.